So I've been quite the slacker on the blogging front, but that's nothing new. I decided in early August that I wanted to do some colorwork, and after a lot of flip-flopping and ravelry pattern searches, I decided on the Lotus Mittens. I had the perfect colors of yarn, too. The pattern calls for 2 colors, but I really like the purple and green together. Unfortunately, they didn't create enough contrast when together, so I needed a grey color. Luckily, I had them in my stash.
Grey: Tempted Fiesty Grrl in Lost
Green: Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Jade
Purple: Malabrigo Sock in Violeta Africana
I originally started with US2 dpns, but the mitten was looser than I'd like. So I started over with US1 dpns, and I like it so far. I added a Latvian Braid to the cuff (tutorial here), and I like that better than the cuff in the pattern.
(^that pic is actually from the US2 dpn edition, but it still looks the same)
Moving right along, I really love working on this. It's quite addictive. I'm tying in any floats longer than 4 sts, and so far that seems to be sufficient.
This is how it looks today. Things are going pretty slowly now that school has started. I'm lucky to get in 5 rows/week. At this rate, I will have a complete set of mittens by winter 2015 lol.
I think that I will end up skipping part of the pattern. It calls for 3 flowers, but one flower is halfway down my hand. I'm going to knit until I'm 1/2 through the 2nd flower, and then I'll decide if I'm going to skip to that portion of the 3rd flower or not.
I decided to make the background of the thumb green instead of purple. It's made the base of the thumb a little bit thicker because I had to wrap the green around at the start of every thumb row. I hope that that won't be a problem, but I won't know until I'm done with the first mitten.
Ravelry project page: Lotus Mittens
Randomly on what I swear I thought was Wednesday
14 hours ago